Making an Instagram profile requires you to either put your phone number or your email ID to be verified. Email ID is a better way to monitor the activity of your account rather than your phone number. While many people are comfortable with syncing their contacts with their Instagram account, some might want to switch to an alternate method.
Typically, you do not want people to find your account if they decide to sync their contacts with the app. In case that is the issue, you will have to have an alternate phone number or an email ID which is not affiliated with any other Instagram account. This will allow you to transition from a phone number to an email address.
The phone number you used while making your account can be unlinked in a few easy steps.
How to remove your phone number from Instagram?
If you have only one Instagram account, then you can link your email address to the account instead of the phone number. Having one medium of contact is essential in case there is a hacking attempt, and you need to change the password remotely. If your email address is linked to another Instagram account, then removing your phone number would not be possible.
Adding an email account will require you to first verify it before you go ahead with the removal of the phone number linked with your account. Once that is done, you can go ahead and follow these steps to unlink your phone number from Instagram:
On the Instagram App
- Open the Instagram app.
- Login if you are not logged in already.
- Go to your profile. Tap your profile picture icon at the bottom right.
- Tap on the three-line icon at the top right corner of your profile.
- Go to settings.
- Tap on the personal information section.
- Add your email address to your profile.
- Verify your email address by clicking on the link which arrived in the mail.
- Tap on your number and then click the X icon to remove it from your account.
On the Web
On a desktop or laptop computer, you can follow the following steps to unlink your phone number from Instagram:
- Go to your browser and go to URL www.instagram.com
- Log into your account if you are not logged in before.
- Go to your profile by clicking on the top right corner where the profile picture appears.
- Click on the Edit Profile option on your profile.
- Find the phone number box and remove it when it appears in the text box.
- After the number is removed, click on Submit.
Disconnecting Contacts from Instagram
Disconnecting the synced contacts on Instagram by following these simple steps:
- Open the app.
- Login to your account.
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the three-line icon at the top right corner.
- Go to Discover People.
- When the pop-up appears, tap Not Now.
- Go to Connect Contacts
- Turn the toggle from on to off.
Once you are done with the disconnection, the contacts that were previously synced to your account will be automatically deleted from your account.
Instagram makes connecting with people around the world easier for all of its users. If you want to stay connected to your contacts, then it will be best if your phone number remains connected to your account. Otherwise, if you are looking for some privacy in this app, then you can always switch to your email address and enjoy the experience in private. Disconnecting the contact details and desyncing your contacts is easy if you know the proper steps to follow.